The payments space is on fire and it's not just about the recently-filed Square IPO. The payments space is seeing a lot of interest by investors and partners in the larger financial industry. Payments isn't a pure-bred space anymore. Instead of payment-focused companies, you're finding companies entering the payment space from all kinds of angles. Apple, Google, and Amazon may all going to be powerhouses over the long-term in the payment space. But, what if you're new to the space? Where would you begin to learn about payments: from new payment technologies to news in the space to analysis of what to look for coming down the pike for payments?
1. Let's Talk PaymentsLet's Talk Payments: Let's Talk Payments was launched in August of 2013 and hasn't looked back. LTP is one of the most active sites in the payments space, publishing a handful of articles on the space every day. The site relaunched in 2015, bringing more data, analysis, and collaboration tools to the industry. Published by: Co-founders Amit Goel and Aditya Khurjekar. Follow: Twitter, Facebook
2. PYMNTS.comPYMNTS.com: . Readers of the site are treated to daily news and opinion on payments and the content is particularly good when it comes to payments as they relate to ecommerce and social commerce. According to the site, "This powerful B2B platform is the #1 site for the payments industry by traffic and the premier source of information about “what’s next” in payments. C-suite and VP level executives turn to it daily for these insights, making the PYMNTS.com audience the most valuable in the industry." Published by: PYMNTS.com is published by 1st in Media, LCC, a joint venture between two leaders in the online media and payments space: Business Wire and Market Platform Dynamics Follow: Twitter, Facebook
3. Payments ViewsPayments Views: This isn't a blog to check daily -- it's longer-form opinion pieces are published more on a weekly frequency. The thought pieces are more in-depth than many of the articles you'll find on other payments sites and are a great way to get smart on the industry. There's a whole education section (typically offering workshops for industry participants) and a podcast called, Payments on Fire, that's definitely worth listening to (POF). Published by: Glenbrook is a payments industry strategy consulting and research firm. We bring to our clients a unique combination of our specialized skills in payments, many years of hands-on experience in the field, and our network of professional relationships. Follow: Twitter
4. Mobile Payments TodayMobile Payments Today: Mobile Payments Today is really an industry portal for payments, sporting everything from daily news and opinion articles to a supplier directory to industry whitepapers. There's a lot of content here to get started with and some live events like webinars as opportunities for learning. There are job listings as well on MPT. Published by: Networld Media Group and Will Hernandez. Before becoming Editor of Mobile Payments Today, Will spent two years as the content manager for PaymentsJournal.com, a leading payments industry news aggregator. He spent four years covering the payments industry as an associate editor for multiple publications in SourceMedia’s Payments Group including ATM&Debit News, CardLine, PaymentsSource.com, ISO&Agent Weekly and American Banker. Follow: Twitter, Facebook
5. Accepting PaymentsAccepting Payments: Brian Roemmele's blog hosted on Q&A site, Quora, is an amazing treasure trove of on-the-ground insights from a leader in the payments industry. Accepting Payments spills a lot of ink dissecting new payment offerings like Apple Pay and Android Pay and has had good coverage of the Square IPO. There are few in the industry who rival Roemmele's personal insights into the future of the payments industry and how the different competitive offerings in the industry stack up against each other. Published by: Brian Roemmele (though Accepting Payments does take outside submissions). Brian is Founder and CEO of 1st American Card Service and President at Multiplex Media Corporation. Follow: Twitter
6. FinextraFinextra: Finextra is a great go-to source for the entire fintech industry and does a good job covering payments, in particular. The news is covered with a little opinion sprinkled in. Finextra does a better job than most covering the global payments industry and highlights a lot of the data and information coming out of the space. Published by: Finextra is the leading independent newswire and information source for the worldwide financial technology community. The publisher claims it has over 25,000 members signed up for the site with almost 10,000 posts published to date. Follow: Twitter
7. [BONUS] Navigator Monthly NewsletterNavigator Monthly Newsletter: This monthly newsletter, basically an aggregation of the articles published monthly by payments consulting group, First Annapolis, is a great read (and free, too). Archives of this monthly publication are available on the site dating back to 2012. Particularly good looking at the moves of the largest incumbents in the industry. Published by: First Annapolis, an M&A and consulting group servicing the payments industry. What payments blogs do you follow? Let us know in the comments...
Readers Top Picks
@mdudas@newrulesinvest@BrianRoemmele@noyesclt Thank you Mike. I would also add @dgwbirch. — Cherian Abraham (@cherian_abraham) October 18, 2015
Recommend @leimer a banker who 100% understands the #CustomerExperience practical, real world analysis #payments https://t.co/Xox3E7vr0l — diana berman (@thedianaberman) October 18, 2015[x_share title="Share this Post" facebook="true" twitter="true" linkedin="true" email="true"] [x_author title="About the Author"]