Outlier Briefing: Frontify’s MJ Mueller on what it takes to create the most valuable financial brands
- Building a financial brand isn't easy and it takes commitment.
- Frontify CMO MJ Mueller joins the Outlier Briefing to talk about the consistency needed to grow a valuable financial brand.
This briefing is exclusive to our Outlier members. We go deeper with subject matter experts, to take actionable steps that can impact your business and market. With all the new entrants to banking and financial services, there’s a sea of sameness around certain parts of the industry. Branding can take a product surrounded by competition and really make it memorable. But to do that, everyone needs to be on the same page. Marketing, PR, product, sales — there’s a consistency great brands have that underlies everything they do. Today’s guest is MJ Mueller, CMO of Frontify. The Swiss software company provides a brand management platform, working with large financial brands all over the world to build powerful brand experiences. MJ discusses how top financial brands — whether they’re incumbents or digital-only — make remarkable impressions and why collaboration and consistency are so important. We talk about the challenges the pandemic has posed for top and emerging brands. Lastly, MJ touches on the future of branding in the financial space. Takeaways
- Top financial brands need a single source of truth: Banks and other financial firms need a home for their branding materials and messaging.
- Consistency is paramount: Across regions and teams, top brands are consistent in their messaging and imagery.
- Collaboration happens across silos: Teams that span the organization and can work together create more impactful and lasting financial brands.
- The market is moving: There’s a growing need to stand out with a strong brand as incumbent players are joined by fintech firms and now big tech competing in financial services. Apple is a very strong competitive brand.
- New generations want different things: Gen Z and Millennials are strong demographics, each with different needs. Trust in banks has eroded and successful financial brands can address this head on.
- Fintech brands need to keep up with growth: Sometimes, fintechs are surprised by the pace of growth and the need for the brand values to permeate everything they do. MJ cited Robinhood’s recent challenges around the GameStop stock snafu that drives home the point that brands extend to customer service, as well.
Listen to an abridged version of the briefing
This content is available exclusively to Tearsheet Outlier members.
Missing out? Subscribe today and you’ll receive unlimited access to all Tearsheet content, original research, exclusive webinars and events, member-only newsletters from Tearsheet editors and reporters and much more. Join Outlier now — only $49/mo. Already an Outlier member? Sign in to your account